Are you a career woman who’s out of the house for the whole day? Or a mom with your hands full with children that keeping your home tidy would be impossible? Maybe it’s time you hire a house cleaner.
No one would like to live in a messy, cluttered home, and if you don’t have the time to clean it yourself, then it’s a must to get a cleaning lady. She would be a big help in sweeping the floor, arranging things, and making every nook and cranny spotless while you’re busy with other things.
But before you hire a house cleaner, you need to keep some things in mind:
1. Choose whether you want to hire directly or consult the aid of a cleaning service/ agency. Hiring directly may be easier on your budget, but you’ll have to spend time calculating her salary and taxes. Also, if the house cleaner resigns or you terminate her services for some reason, finding a replacement will take a while. On the other hand, if you’re going to get a cleaning lady from an agency, replacements can come quick. You’ll also have no accounting responsibilities. However, cleaning service would, most of the time, come at a premium.
2. Do background checks on potential house cleaners prior to hiring. Ask for references; contact previous employers and ask about her performance and work ethic. Check if the cleaner has records of past transgressions. It’s for your safety and peace of mind.
3. Be clear about what you need. Do you want the cleaning lady to tidy up all rooms except the master’s bedroom? Is she going to just do the family’s laundry? Does she have to clean on Tuesday and Friday mornings only? Determine what needs to be done and how you like her to do it.
4. Also ask her how they want to go through about cleaning the house. Does she need to use specific cleaning products? What tools should be provided? If you have reservations about her requests, then try to compromise.
5. Know her limits. Ask her what she can and she cannot do. You have to choose a house cleaner whose skills meet your needs.
6. Most of all, respect her. She is not someone you can just order about. Don’t make her do tasks outside her capacity. You can be firm, but also be kind. When hiring a house cleaner, show respect — she will appreciate you and would surely consider being kept in your employ.